Postdoctoral Research Scientist (f/m/d)
"Nanoscale Electrochemistry and Catalytic Activity Imaging"
Reference No.: CE 2021/21The Helmholtz research group Nanoscale Operando CO2 Photo-Electrocatalysis (head: Dr. Christopher Kley) investigates local structural, electronic and catalytic properties of materials under reaction conditions using advanced in situ scanning probe microscopy methods paired with spectroscopic tools to innovate synthetic concepts in catalysis and energy conversion. Applications are invited for a postdoctoral researcher position at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin for Materials and Energy (HZB) and working at the Fritz Haber Institute (FHI) of the Max Planck Society.
Project tasks and aims
- Apply variants of scanning electrochemical cell microscopy (SECCM) based on a novel electrochemical microscopy platform to probe the local catalytic activity at electrode interfaces.
- Correlate local reactivity with the material’s nanoscale properties (including morphology, structure, composition) by complementary in situ / operando microscopic and spectroscopic characterization.
- Maintain and advance scanning electrochemical microscopy platform
- PhD degree in Chemistry, Physics, Physical Chemistry, or appropriate fields of electrochemistry and microscopy / spectroscopy
- Proven expertise and practical achievements in nanopipette and nanoelectrode techniques or electrochemical scanning probe microscopy
- Experience in performing complex electrochemistry experiments and analysis preferred
- Self-motivated, detail- and goal-oriented working style with ability to solve scientific and practical challenges independently, paired with collaborative spirit in a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
What we offer
- Initial contract for one year with the option for extension
- Work place at the Fritz Haber Institute in a unique academic environment with access to cutting edge research facilities, frontier operando material characterization and preparation tools, and collaborations within the catalysis research initiative CatLab
- Working in an international team with highly motivated colleagues
- Internal and external qualification offers, flexible working hours and health management
- A company pension scheme (VBL)
Interested candidates should submit their curriculum vitae listing education, publications and research experience, a statement of motivation and career objective (max. 1 page), copies of transcripts, and contact details of three references.
Fixed term contract for 12 months. The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
How to apply
The HZB looks forward to receiving your application via their application management system by 25.09.2021
. For reasons of data protection regulations, they are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach them by email or by mail in the application process.
The HZB strives to increase the proportion of female employees and is therefore particularly pleased to receive applications from women. Disabled applicants with equal aptitude are givhttps://jobs.fhi.mpg.de/v1/jobposting/4adf3451a915fdffdbbfc377632c983e58e0307f/export/pdfen preference.